Argan oil comes from the nut of the argan tree aka as Argania spinosa, which grows in the Northern African countries of Morocco and Algeria. The nut is encased in a thick shell which is surrounded by a pulpy mass. Each nut contains up to 60% oil.
The oil is produced by fair trade women co-operatives in Morocco; providing income for many women and their relatives as well as improved social standing.
The shell is cracked by hand or between two stones. The nuts are then extracted, roasted and ground to a paste, which is subsequently squeezed thoroughly to extract the oil. The discarded husk is used to feed the goats. It takes over 15 hours to extract one liter of oil per batch, which explains why the oil is so costly.
The extracted oil can last up to 6 months and is rich in essential fatty acids. Local uses of the oil include as a dipping for bread, on couscous, salad dressings and to make dipping pastes. The oil is a common ingredient in anti-aging cosmetic products but it’s available as a standalone oil as well.
Why is Argan Oil Good for Hair Loss & Breakage?
It contains vitamin E, carotenes, squalene and up to 80% unsaturated fatty acids; all intensely hydrating and moisturizing agents for hair. Additionally, it calms frizz and promotes sheen. It is also a natural replacement for silicon. The nutrients help to restore hair damage from the sun and atmospheric elements.
How to Use Argan Oil to Reverse Hair Loss
- Apply 5 – 10 drops to your hand, rub together and work through your wet strands and massage over your scalp before styling. It doesn’t matter how long your hair is, 5 – 10 drops are more than enough. Overuse can irritate your scalp.
- While your style is in place, you can apply 5 drops every morning before dressing up your hair.
- For an intensely moisturizing hair mask, mix 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of argan oil together thoroughly. Apply to hair, cover with a shower cap and leave for an hour then wash out with a mild shampoo. This mask will make your hair stronger and less susceptible to shedding. Repeat every two weeks.
Consistency with above recommendations will help your hair to stop shedding over the long term and lead to stronger strands.
Be careful to purchase 100% pure argan oil that isn’t loaded with silicon, fragrance and other synthetic fillers. You can usually tell if the oil is impure in the following ways:
- Real argan oil has a rich, intensely nutty and earthy smell. If it smells any other way, it’s not original.
- It has more than one ingredient listed.
- Authentic argan oil is sold in amber coloured containers to preserve the shelf life and prevent deterioration.
- It is cheap. Pure argan oil is labour intensive and this is reflected in the cost.
- The texture is anything but smooth and silky between your fingers.
You can purchase 100% pure argan oil HERE. Below are my recommendations as well: